Hummus is a mixture of boiled chickpeas, tahina (sesame paste), olive oil and lemon juice, among other things. You can personalize the recipe and add different ingredients to your own taste.
There are many reasons to eat hummus:
1. The most important thing is that it is an easy way to take legumes. Legumes are a great source of protein and they should be present in your family´s diet at least two or three times a week.
2. Preparing hummus is fast and easy and it doesn´t need cooking. It is ideal when you don´t have time to cook, or you just don´t feel like it. Your kids will have fun helping you.
3. The mixture of chickpeas and tahina provides quality proteins. Sesame is rich in methionine, an essential amino acid present in very small amounts in legumes so the ingredients complement themselves quite well.
4. Hummus contains monounsaturated fats, from olive oil, and polyunsaturated fats, from chickpeas and sesame. This makes it a heart-healthy food, which will also help lower cholesterol levels. By the way, it has a moderate energy value: 150-200 kcal / 100 g.
5. Smashed chickpeas make the legume much more digestive so your body will assimilate the nutrients more efficiently. And if you add a few tablespoons of yogurt, the digestibility will increase even more.
6. Hummus provides fiber, from chickpeas and sesame. This will help you reach your recommended daily intake of 25 to 40 g/day.
7. It contains calcium: sesame provides about 150 mg / 100 g and chickpeas 120 mg / 100 g. So it is a good dish for children and women (especially pregnant, lactating or over 35 years old) who need extra dose of this mineral.
8. Lemon juice provides vitamin C and its preservation power from the rest of the vitamins on the plate.
9. It is versatile: it can be an entree, a canape, garnish, crêpe filling, even cream to spread a sandwich.
10. It is a dish of affordable ingredients.
Oh… and it´s DELICIOUS!